Harold and Kathleen Leighton started H. Leighton Contracting Ltd. in 1975, with a single backhoe. They then purchased a single axle gravel truck and it was history from there.
They went on to build the business through the 80’s and 90’s to the larger scale it is today.
H. Leighton Contracting has done numerous high profile projects throughout the years. From the excavating & trail works for Simms Park, to the civil works for North Island College back in the 90’s. Harold also supplied the excavating works for both Mission and Aspen School, as well as Valley View School. More recently H. Leighton Contracting has completed numerous phases of residential subdivision work in both Courtenay and Comox, as well as the latest phase of the Casa Loma Retirement Village.
The family actually has Valley roots dating back to the first canoe landing on the shores of the Comox Valley in the 1800’s! Reginald Terry Carwithen was one of the first Pioneers in the Comox Valley, he landing in August of 1862, a site that was landmarked with a cairn on Headquarters Rd, just off the Old Island Highway in 1956.
Robert started working for the “Old man” at age 13 at the North Island College project in the summer of 1990, then full time after high school. In 2009 Robert incorporated Leighton Contracting (2009) Ltd. and is carrying on the family business.